Sausage and Bean Casserole
- 12 slices white sandwich bread
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 2 packages (1 pound each) smoked Polish sausage, halved lengthwise, cut into 2 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 8 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/2 cup tomato paste
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 4 cans (14.5 ounces each) Great Northern or cannelloni beans, rinsed and drained
To cook frozen casserole: Bake without thawing in an oven heated to 375 degrees, covered with foil, until bubbly and hot in the center, about 1 hour. Remove foil; continue baking until breadcrumbs are golden brown, 15 to 20 minutes more.
In a food processor, pulse bread until large crumbs form (you should have about 6 cups); season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. In a 6-quart heavy-bottom saucepan, cook sausage, onions, and garlic, stirring occasionally, until onions are translucent and sausage is starting to brown, 15 to 20 minutes.
Add tomato paste, broth, wine, thyme, and 2 cups water; bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer; add beans. Simmer, stirring occasionally, until slightly thickened but still soupy, about 10 minutes.
Stir in 2 cups of the breadcrumbs. Divide sausage mixture between two 3-quart shallow baking dishes or eight 10-ounce ramekins. Top with remaining breadcrumbs.
Bake, on a baking sheet, until topping is golden, 30 minutes.