Potato, Parsnip, and Herb-Oil Puree
Parsnips bring earthy interest to this potato mash. Infused oil elevates it from expected to extraordinary.
- Servings: 8
Photography: Maura Mcevoy
Source: Martha Stewart Living, April 2011
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 whole black peppercorns
- 1 dried bay leaf
- 1 large rosemary sprig
- 1 piece (1 inch) cinnamon stick
- 2 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 pounds parsnips, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
- Pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
Bring olive oil, peppercorns, bay leaf, rosemary, and cinnamon stick to a gentle simmer in a saucepan over low heat. Remove from heat, and let stand, covered, until cool. Strain. Meanwhile, cook potatoes and parsnips in a large pot of salted boiling water until tender, 20 to 25 minutes. Drain, then immediately mash with infused oil, salt, and nutmeg.