Tortilla Soup for One
This one-pot dish can be doubled for two main courses (or four appetizer portions). Start the meal with chips and guacamole, or finish with a lettuce and avocado salad.
- Total Time:
- Servings: 1
Source: Everyday Food, September 2005
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken thighs (8 ounces)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small jalapeno chile, minced (ribs and seeds removed for less heat, if desired)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 3 scallions, thinly sliced
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 2 plum tomatoes, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup frozen corn kernels
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1 cup tortilla chips
In a small saucepan, bring 2 1/2 cups water to a boil. Add chicken, garlic, jalapeno, coriander, and half the scallions; season with salt and pepper. Reduce to a simmer; cover, and cook until chicken is tender and opaque throughout, about 15 minutes.
Remove chicken; when cool enough to handle, shred or thinly slice. Return to pan; stir in tomatoes and corn. Cook until heated through, about 3 minutes more.
Add lime juice and half the tortilla chips; stir to combine. Garnish with remaining chips and scallions; serve immediately.