Chicken-and-Shrimp Egg Rolls
This recipe for chicken and shrimp egg rolls is courtesy of Michael Schulson.
- Yield: Makes 12 egg rolls
Source: The Martha Stewart Show, April Spring 2007
FOR THE CHICKEN AND SHRIMP
- 8 cups homemade or store-bought canned low-sodium chicken stock
- 1 bunch scallions, trimmed and roughly chopped
- 2 pieces fresh ginger (1 inch each), peeled
- 4 cloves garlic
- 3 tablespoons salt
- 3 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
- 1/2 pound large shrimp
FOR THE EGG ROLLS
- 1/2 head green cabbage, cored and thinly sliced
- 4 tablespoons coarse salt
- 1/2 bunch cilantro stems, roughly chopped
- 1 red Thai chile, stemmed and minced
- 1 Granny Smith apple, peeled and finely chopped
- 12 egg roll wrappers
- 1 large egg yolk, lightly beaten
- Canola oil, for frying
- Egg Roll Dipping Sauce
Fill a large pot with chicken stock, scallions, ginger, garlic, and salt. Bring to a boil over high heat. Turn off heat and add chicken. Let stand 8 minutes. Remove chicken; let cool. Cut chicken into 1/2-by-1/2-by-1-inch pieces; set aside.
Return liquid to a boil. Turn off heat and add shrimp. Let stand 5 minutes. Remove shrimp, let cool. Cut shrimp in half lengthwise; set aside.
In a large bowl, toss together cabbage and salt. Place in a colander and let drain 20 minutes.
In another large bowl, mix together cilantro stems, chile, apple, chicken, and shrimp. Add cabbage, and toss until well combined.
Place 1 wrapper on a lightly floured work surface. Using a rolling pin, roll out to 1/8 inch thick. Rotate wrapper so that 1 of the points is closest to the edge of your work surface. Place about 2 tablespoons filling in the center of the wrapper making sure to include a couple pieces of shrimp in each egg roll. Fold point closest to edge of work surface up and over filling, then fold points on right and left sides over filling, and roll wrapper away from you to form a cylinder.
Fill a large heavy-bottomed saucepan with oil to a depth of 3 inches. Place over medium-high heat. When oil reaches 375 degrees on a deep-fry thermometer, fry egg rolls, working in batches, until golden brown, about 4 minutes. Serve immediately with dipping sauce.