Broccoli Home Fries
Broccoli with pan-fried potatoes is an accompaniment that goes with everything, from broiled steak to scrambled eggs.
- Servings: 4
Photography: LIsa Hubbard
Source: Martha Stewart Kids, Winter 2005
- 1 pound broccoli, florets cut into small pieces, stalks peeled and cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 large russet potatoes, (about 1 pound), peeled and cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
Bring 1 1/2 inches of water to a boil in a small saucepan fitted with the steamer insert. Add broccoli; cover, and cook until broccoli is just tender, 2 to 3 minutes. Drain in a colander, and rinse with cold running water until broccoli has cooled completely.
Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add potatoes; cook, stirring occasionally, until crisp, golden, and just tender, 15 to 20 minutes.
Add butter and broccoli to the skillet; season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until potatoes and broccoli are browned, about 4 minutes.