Pound Cake with Maple Glaze
This delectable recipe comes from Aubrey Cook, a finalist in the "Martha" show "Best Bakers in America"series. Hints of almond and lemon extract balance the pound cake's buttery flavor, and a sweet maple glaze tops the cake with a marbled pattern.
- 1 cup unsalted butter, (2 sticks), softened
- 3 cups cake flour, (not self-rising), plus more for pan
- 3 cups granulated sugar
- 6 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 cup heavy cream, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
Butter and flour a 10-cup bundt pan; set aside.
Prepare the cake; In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, combine butter and granulated sugar until fluffy, about 10 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each addition. Add 1/2 each of the flour and cream, mixing well to combine. Add remaining flour and cream, mixing until incorporated. Stir in vanilla, lemon, and almond extracts.
Pour batter into prepared baking pan. Transfer to unheated oven; bake at 300 degrees for 1 hour 45 minutes. Let cool on wire rack in pan for 15 minutes. Remove from pan, place cake on wire rack, and let cool completely.
Prepare the glaze; In a small saucepan, melt butter and syrup together over medium heat. Whisk confectioners' sugar into hot mixture until smooth, and immediately pour over cooled cake.