Spicy Barbecue Sauce
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice
- One 15-ounce can tomato puree
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Heat oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and garlic; cook, stirring, until translucent, about 3 minutes. Add cayenne, ginger, mustard, salt, and allspice; cook just until spices become very fragrant, about 2 minutes more.
Add tomato puree, Worcestershire, molasses, and vinegar. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low; simmer, stirring often, until slightly thickened, about 15 minutes. Season with pepper. Use immediately, or cool and refrigerate until needed, up to 1 week.