It's an unexpected marriage of flavors, but pumpkin and chocolate make a blissful pair.
- Yield: Makes one 10-inch tart
Photography: Steve Baxter
Source: Martha Stewart Living, November 2003
- 1 can (15 ounces) pumpkin puree
- 3/4 cup firmly packed light-brown sugar
- 8 ounces creme fraiche
- 3 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- Chocolate Crust for Pumpkin-Chocolate Spiderweb Tart
- 2 ounces best-quality semisweet chocolate
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a medium bowl, whisk together pumpkin puree, brown sugar, creme fraiche, eggs, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, salt, and cloves until smooth. Pass mixture through a fine sieve set over a clean bowl; discard solids. Pour filling into prepared crust.
Bake until filling is set, about 40 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack, and let cool at least 30 minutes.
Set a heatproof bowl, or the top of a double boiler, over a pan of barely simmering water. Melt chocolate in bowl, stirring occasionally; remove from heat. Dip a spoon in melted chocolate, then drizzle chocolate over tart, forming decorative stripes. Refrigerate until well set, at least 1 hour and up to 1 day.