Joan's Seven Fruit Haroset
Joan Nathan, author of "Jewish Cooking in America", prepares several different versions of haroset each Passover. This is one of her favorites.
- 1 1/3 cups (4 ounces) unsweetened, shredded coconut
- 1 cup (4 ounces) walnuts, coarsely chopped
- 3/4 cup (4 ounces) raisins
- 1 3/4 cups (4 ounces) dried apples, coarsely chopped
- 3/4 cup (4 ounces) dried prunes, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup (4 ounces) dried pears, coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons Kosher-for-Passover cherry jam
- 1/4 cup sweet red kosher wine, such as Manischewitz
Combine coconut, walnuts, raisins, apples, prunes, pears, sugar, and cinnamon in a medium saucepan. Add water to cover, about 6 cups. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to simmer. Cook, stirring occasionally, over medium-low heat until thick, about 1 1/2 hours. Add small amounts of water as necessary to prevent sticking. Add jam, remove from heat, and add wine. Stir to combine.