Roasted Chicken and Jerusalem Artichokes
Jerusalem artichokes are also called sunchokes.
- Servings: 4
Photography: ANNA WILLIAMS
Source: Martha Stewart Living, April 2002
- One 3-pound chicken, cut into serving pieces
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 lemon, plus more grated zest for garnish
- 6 large garlic cloves
- 1 pound small Jerusalem artichokes, peeled
- 8 large shallots, peeled and halved
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves, plus more for garnish
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 cup green olives, pitted
Preheat oven to 500 degrees. Season chicken with salt and pepper, and rub with 1 tablespoon olive oil. Place chicken in a shallow roasting pan; set aside. Zest the lemon into long strips, and squeeze juice from lemon into a small bowl. Set aside juice.
In a medium bowl, combine lemon zest, garlic, Jerusalem artichokes, shallots, and thyme. Add remaining 2 tablespoons oil; season with salt and pepper. Toss to coat, and arrange in pan around chicken. Roast until chicken is golden brown, about 40 minutes.
Remove from oven. Add reserved lemon juice, wine, and olives; stir up any browned bits on the bottom of roasting pan with a wooden spoon. Return to oven, and continue cooking until liquid has thickened slightly, 10 to 15 minutes. Remove from oven, and transfer to serving plates. Garnish with grated lemon zest.