Baked Leek, Potato, and Parmesan Frittata
Served warm or cold, this comforting dish works for almost any occasion.
- 1/2 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup water
- 4 leeks (about 1 pound), white and pale-green parts only, rinsed well and sliced into 1/4-inch-thick rounds
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 pound Yukon gold potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- Coarse salt
- 8 large eggs plus 2 large egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3/4 cup part-skim ricotta cheese, drained
- 1/3 cup finely grated Parmesan cheese
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Brush a 9-inch square baking dish with oil. Bring water to a simmer in a medium skillet over high heat. Add leeks, garlic, and potatoes; season with 1/2 teaspoon salt. Reduce heat to medium-low, and cook, covered, until potatoes are just tender, 8 to 10 minutes. Let cool.
Whisk together eggs, whites, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and the cayenne. Fold in potato mixture and ricotta. Mix in 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese. Pour mixture into dish, and sprinkle with remaining Parmesan. Bake until edges are set, about 12 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 325 degrees, and bake until set and a knife inserted into the center comes out clean, 20 to 25 minutes. Let cool for 10 minutes. Cut into 8 squares.
SourceMartha Stewart Living, May 2010