Skewered Greek Meatballs
Mediterranean ingredients flavor these little meatballs. Yogurt sauce with mint and lemon makes a refreshing accompaniment.
- Total Time:
- Servings: 6
Source: Martha Stewart Living, February 2011
For The Dipping Sauce:
- 1 cup Greek yogurt (2 percent)
- 1 medium cucumber, peeled, seeded, and grated
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped fresh mint
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest, plus 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
For The Meatballs:
- 1/2 recipe Ground-Meat Mix (about 1 3/4 pounds)
- 3/4 cup finely crumbled feta cheese
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red-pepper flakes
- Extra-virgin olive oil, for hands and baking sheet
Make the dipping sauce: Mix together yogurt, cucumber, mint, lemon zest and juice, and 3/4 teaspoon salt in a medium bowl; season with pepper.
Make the meatballs: Gently mix together meat, feta, oregano, and red-pepper flakes in a bowl; do not overmix. Form mixture into thirty 1 1/4-inch meatballs. (You may need to oil your hands to prevent mixture from sticking.) Slide 5 meatballs onto each of 6 metal skewers.
Preheat broiler, with rack in top third of oven. Lightly brush a rimmed baking sheet with oil. Broil skewers on baking sheet until just cooked through and deep golden brown, about 8 minutes. Serve with dipping sauce.