Under 30 Minutes
- 4 slices white bread, torn into large pieces
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 small onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 large egg
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 1/4 pounds ground chuck (80 percent to 85 percent lean)
- 1 1/4 pounds ground pork (80 percent to 85 percent lean)
Working in batches, pulse bread in a food processor until medium-coarse crumbs form (you should have 3 cups breadcrumbs). Transfer to a bowl. Stir in milk; let stand for 10 minutes.
Meanwhile, puree garlic and onion until smooth. Pulse in egg, 2 1/2 teaspoons salt, and 3/4 teaspoon pepper to combine.
Mix garlic mixture into breadcrumb mixture. Add beef and pork, and mix until just barely combined; do not overmix. Divide mixture into 2 portions, and continue with variations.
SourceMartha Stewart Living, February 2011