Neapolitan Coconut Strips
Prepare for an unparalleled (and unorthodox) blast of flavors in these stratified little candies. The exquisitely tender treats are emboldened with vanilla, chocolate, and coconut. Get the packaging how-to for the Neapolitan Coconut Strips.
- 12 ounces white chocolate, chopped
- 1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
- 1 1/2 ounces (3 tablespoons) unsalted butter
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1 vanilla bean, split and scraped, pod reserved for another use
- 4 ounces finely shredded unsweetened coconut (1 1/4 cup)
- 4 ounces finely shredded sweetened coconut (1 1/3 cup)
- 1 ounce milk chocolate, melted
- 1 drop red gel-paste food coloring
Line an 8-inch square cake pan with plastic wrap, leaving a 2-inch overhang on 2 sides. Combine white chocolate, condensed milk, butter, salt, and vanilla seeds in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Cook, stirring, until smooth. Remove from heat, and stir in both types of coconut.
Divide mixture among 3 bowls. Stir milk chocolate into 1 batch and food coloring into another. Leave third plain.
Spread milk-chocolate mixture into bottom of pan. Gently dollop plain mixture over top, covering as much surface as possible. Gently spread, then repeat with the remaining mixture. Refrigerate until firm, about 2 hours.
Unmold coconut square using plastic overhang, and discard plastic. Trim about inch each from 2 parallel sides. Cut crosswise into 1/4-inch-wide slices. Cut each slice into 1 1/2-inch-long strips. Cover, and refrigerate for up to 1 week.
SourceMartha Stewart Living, December 2008