This recipe for vegetable stock, adapted from the September 2006 issue of Martha Stewart Living, is used to make the Kirkland Signature Martha Stewart Minestrone Soup, available at Costco.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, half coarsely chopped and half left whole
- 2 large ribs celery, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 medium carrots, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 8 sprigs fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 8 sprigs fresh basil
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 teaspoon whole black peppercorns
- Coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper
Heat oil in a medium stockpot over medium heat until hot but not smoking. Add chopped onion; cook, stirring often, until caramelized, 10 to 15 minutes. Add celery, carrots, and garlic. Cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are tender, about 10 minutes.
Stir in 10 cups water, parsley, basil, thyme, bay leaf, peppercorns, and onion half; season with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 1 hour.
Pour stock through a fine sieve into a large bowl set in an ice-water bath, and press on vegetables to extract juices; discard solids. Refrigerate, covered, overnight.