Red Lentil and Bulghur Salad
- 2 cups red lentils
- 1 cup fine bulghur wheat
- 1/2 cup plus 6 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 onions, cut into small dice
- 1 large red pepper, cored, seeded, and cut into chunks
- 1 medium tomato, peeled, seeded, and diced
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced scallion
In a medium saucepan, combine lentils and 5 cups water. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce to a simmer and cook, until lentils are soft, 15 to 20 minutes. Stir in bulghur and 1/2 cup oil. Season with herbamare. Cover and remove from heat. Let stand for 10 minutes.
Meanwhile, In a large skillet, heat 5 tablespoons oil over medium-high heat. Add onions, and cook, stirring occasionally, until brown, 15 to 20 minutes.
Place red pepper in a food processor and puree. In a small nonstick skillet, heat remaining tablespoon oil over medium heat. Add red pepper, and cook, stirring frequently, until puree becomes dry, 10 to 15 minutes.
Add onions and red-pepper puree to lentils, and stir to combine. Taste and adjust for seasoning. Transfer to serving dish. In a small bowl, stir together tomato, parsley, and scallion. Serve lentils garnished with tomato mixture.