Rice with Peas and Cilantro
Steeped in aromatics and studded with peas, this grain-and-veggie combo is more substantial than a typical side.
- 1 cup fresh cilantro, stems reserved
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 cup long-grain rice
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 pound fresh peas, shelled (1 1/2 cups)
Tie together reserved cilantro stems with kitchen twine. Heat oil in a medium pot over medium heat. Cook onion and garlic, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 8 minutes. Add chili powder, and season with salt and pepper; cook for 1 minute. Add rice, and stir to coat. Add cilantro-stem bundle and the water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, and gently simmer, covered, until water is absorbed, about 15 minutes.
Remove from heat, and add peas (do not mix). Cover, and let stand for 10 minutes. Discard cilantro-stem bundle. Season with salt and pepper. Stir in cilantro leaves.
SourceMartha Stewart Living, May 2010