Marie's Pasta Sauce
- Yield: Makes about 6 cups
- 1 cup dried porcini mushrooms
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
- 4 (35-ounce) cans whole peeled tomatoes, drained and crushed
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- 2 tablespoons coarsely chopped fresh basil leaves
Place mushrooms in a medium saucepan. Add enough water to cover by 1 inch. Bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer, and cook until tender, about 30 minutes. Drain, and coarsely chop; set aside.
Meanwhile, place tomatoes in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer, and cook for 20 minutes. Add porcinis, and simmer until desired consistency, about 30 minutes. Add butter, cheese, and basil; simmer for 5 minutes.