More than just a birthday treat, cupcakes are an ideal ending to any outdoor dinner. These miniature cakes with cream-cheese-and-coconut frosting require no plates or utensils and end the evening with a touch of whimsy.
- 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups sifted cake flour (not self-rising)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 8 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 teaspoons pure coconut extract
- 2 cups (6 ounces) sweetened flaked coconut
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a 12-cup muffin tin with paper liners. With an electric mixer on medium speed, beat 1 stick butter and the granulated sugar until pale and fluffy. Beat in eggs, one at a time, and vanilla. Reduce speed. Beat in flour, baking powder, and salt, then milk. Spoon into cups. Bake until a cake tester comes out clean, 15 to 16 minutes. Let cool.
Beat cream cheese, remaining 1/2 stick butter, the confectioners' sugar, and coconut extract until fluffy. Frost cupcakes, and sprinkle with coconut.
SourceMartha Stewart Living, June 2007