Minced Meat, Crab, and Grapefruit Vietnamese Salad
This Vietnamese salad recipe is courtesy of Chef Bobby Chinn and can be found in his cookbook, "Wild, Wild East."
- 1 pomelo
- 6 ounces minced pork or beef
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
- 2 tablespoons Fish Sauce Dip (Nuoc Cham)
- 1 tablespoon thinly sliced Thai bird's-eye chile
- 1 small Spanish onion, finely chopped
- 1 (1/2-inch) piece fresh ginger, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- 3 1/2 ounces crabmeat, drained and picked through for shells
- Iceberg lettuce cups, for serving
- Julienned carrots, for garnish
- Julienned cucumber, peeled, for garnish
Slice the top and bottom of the pomelo with a paring knife. Set one of the flat sides on your work surface. From top to bottom, following the curve of the fruit, cut away peel and white pith. Trim off any remaining pith. Holding the pomelo over a bowl, cut along both sides of each segment, staying close to the membrane, to release; set aside.
Place the minced meat in a medium saucepan along with 3 tablespoons water. Cook over medium heat until cooked through. Remove from heat and let cool slightly. Stir in lime juice, fish sauce dip, and chile; let cool completely.
In a large bowl, combine onion, ginger, cilantro, and crab. Tear pomelo segments into small pieces and add to bowl. Add cooled meat and toss to combine.
Serve salad in lettuce cups garnished with carrots and cucumber.