Chilled Tomato Soup
- Servings: 6
- 2 large red bell peppers
- 2 1/2 pounds tomatoes (about 6 large)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 cups homemade or canned low-sodium chicken stock
- 2/3 cup freshly squeezed orange juice (2 oranges)
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- Plain yogurt, for garnish
- Chopped fresh herbs, for garnish
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Place the peppers and tomatoes on a baking sheet, and roast until they are slightly charred, about 30 minutes.
Peel, and core the peppers and tomatoes. Transfer the flesh to the jar of a blender; set aside.
In a medium skillet, heat olive oil. Add onion, and cook until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add to the blender, and purÃ©e until smooth. Pass the mixture through a food mill fitted with a medium disk into a large bowl. Stir in the stock, orange juice, vinegar, salt, and pepper. Cover, and refrigerate until chilled. Serve garnished with yogurt and herbs.