Prepare this American classic with the finest ingredients, such as Comstock bacon, plump Jersey tomatoes, and fresh bread. Enjoy a BLT when tomatoes are at their peak in late summer and early fall.
- Yield: Makes 2 sandwiches
Source: The Martha Stewart Show, November 2005
- 12 slices thickly cut bacon
- 4 slices white sandwich bread, such as pain de mie (Pullman), sliced about 1/2-inch thick
- 1/2 cup Homemade Mayonnaise
- 1 small head Bibb or Boston lettuce
- 1 to 2 vine-ripened tomatoes, sliced 1/4-inch thick
- 4 basil leaves
- Coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Lay 12 strips of bacon on a cooling rack placed over a parchment-lined baking sheet; transfer to oven, and bake until crisp and browned, 15 to 18 minutes.
Toast bread, and spread one side of each slice with mayonnaise. Arrange lettuce on two slices; top with basil leaf, tomatoes, and bacon. Season with salt and pepper. Top with remaining bread slices, and cut on the diagonal. Serve immediately.