- Servings: 12
Photography: Sang An
Source: Halloween 2004, Special Issue
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves large garlic, finely chopped
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 2 cans (28 ounces each) sunpeeled crushed tomatoes in puree
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red-pepper flakes
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 pound rigatoni
- 1 1/2 pounds whole-milk ricotta cheese
- 1 pound fresh mozzarella cheese, cut into small cubes
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat until hot. Add onion; cook, stirring occasionally, until translucent, about 4 minutes. Stir in garlic; cook 1 minute. Stir in tomato paste; cook 2 minutes. Stir in tomatoes, oregano, and red-pepper flakes. Season with salt and pepper. Reduce heat; simmer, stirring occasionally, until slightly reduced, about 15 minutes.
. Bring a large pot of water to a boil; add 1 tablespoon salt. Add rigatoni; cook until just al dente. Drain; rinse under cold water. 3. Stir together ricotta and half of mozzarella in a bowl. Season with salt and pepper. 4. Spread 1 cup tomato sauce on bottom of a 9-by-13-inch baking dish. Add half of rigatoni; spread into an even layer. Top with 1 cup sauce and the ricotta mixture, spreading with a rubber spatula to cover. Top with remaining rigatoni and 1 1/2 cups sauce. Sprinkle remaining mozzarella on top to cover. Bake until sauce is bubbling and cheese has melted, 35 to 40 minutes.