Orange Rice with Mushrooms
Button mushrooms and orange juice add zest to this rice side dish.
- Servings: 8
Photography: Charles Schiller
Source: Martha Stewart Living, October 2001
- 1 cup uncooked long-grain white rice
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 red onion, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 2 stalks celery, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 8 ounces button mushrooms, stems removed, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup sliced scallions
- Zest and juice of 1 orange
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
Bring a medium saucepan of water to a boil. Add rice, and simmer until tender, 20 to 25 minutes. Drain; set aside.
Prepare vegetables: Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and celery; cook until softened, about 10 minutes. Add mushrooms; cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in cooked rice, scallions, zest, and juice. Season with salt and pepper. Serve warm or at room temperature.