Grampy Geoff Havens's Whole-Wheat Waffles
These whole-wheat waffles -- recipe courtesy of art director Anduin Havens -- are an irresistible family breakfast you'll want to make again and again.
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole-wheat flour
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon plus 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon plus pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/4 cup plus 1 1/2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 5 large eggs
- 2 cups milk, plus more as needed
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon molasses
- Nonstick cooking spray, for waffle iron
- Pure maple syrup, for serving (optional)
- Blueberries, for serving (optional)
Preheat waffle iron. Sift together both flours, baking powder, cinnamon, and nutmeg three times; set aside.
In a large bowl, whisk together oil and honey. Add eggs, milk, vanilla, and molasses; whisk well to combine. Add flour mixture and stir to combine; mixture should be easily pourable, but not too thick. If mixture seems too thick, add a little more milk.
Spray waffle iron with cooking spray. Pour 1/2 cup batter into waffle iron. Cook until golden brown, about 1 1/2 minutes. Carefully remove waffle from iron and repeat process with remaining batter. Serve immediately.