Spicy Mango Chutney
- 15 whole cloves
- 15 whole pink peppercorns
- 2/3 cup white vinegar
- 1 large red onion, finely diced
- 1 teaspoon crushed red-pepper flakes
- 1 1/2 teaspoons coarse salt
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated ginger
- 3 tablespoons freshly grated lime zest
- 2/3 cup freshly squeezed lime juice, (about 4 limes)
- 7 mangos, (7 1/2 pounds) peeled, pitted, and cut into 1/2-inch chunks
Cut a 4-inch square of cheesecloth. Place cloves and peppercorns in the center, and form a bundle; secure with kitchen twine. Place bundle in a low-sided, six-quart saucepan. Add vinegar, red onion, crushed red-pepper flakes, salt, and sugar. Set over medium-high heat, and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium low, and simmer mixture 15 minutes.
Add ginger, lime zest, lime juice, and mangos; combine. Continue cooking until mangos begin to soften and liquid has thickened, about 40 minutes. Remove pan from heat.
Transfer chutney immediately to jars. Alternatively, transfer to a large bowl set over an ice bath to chill; store in an airtight container, refrigerated, up to 4 weeks.