This technique for washing and sauteing mushrooms provides a different texture and deep flavor to our sauteed mushroom recipe. Our method ensures your mushrooms are sauteed perfectly without becoming soggy. Serve sauteed mushrooms over polenta or steak, or folded into risotto.
- Yield: Makes 6 servings with polenta or pasta
- 1 1/2 pounds fresh mushrooms
- 1/2 lemon
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons coarse salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
Submerge the mushrooms in cold water, swish around to wash thoroughly, and drain. Trim the ends, slice and place in a large bowl. Squeeze the juice of the lemon half over the mushrooms and toss.
Put the garlic in a large pan and pour in the olive oil. Heat over medium-high heat until the garlic begins to sizzle but not brown, about 30 seconds. Add the mushrooms, stir, and cover. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 4 minutes.
Remove the lid, add the salt and pepper, and cook, stirring, until all moisture is evaporated and the mushrooms begin to brown, about 5 minutes. Stir in the parsley and serve.