- 2 medium leeks, white and light green parts only
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced small
- 2 medium carrots, diced small
- 2 celery stalks, diced small
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 medium Yukon Gold potato, peeled and diced small
- 6 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 head (1 1/2 pounds) green cabbage, cored and thinly sliced
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 2 teaspoons white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme leaves
Halve leeks lengthwise; rinse thoroughly, pat dry, and cut into 1/2-inch slices. In a large Dutch oven or heavy pot, heat oil over medium-high. Add onion, carrots, and celery; cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 5 minutes. Add leeks and garlic and cook, stirring, until leeks begin to soften, 2 minutes. Add potato, broth, and bay leaves and bring to a boil. Stir in cabbage and season generously with salt and pepper.
Return soup to a boil, then reduce to a rapid simmer. Cover and cook until vegetables are tender, 15 to 20 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in vinegar and thyme. Season with salt and pepper.