Creepy Caramel Apples
These creepy caramel apples are a delicious Halloween treat that can also be enjoyed year-round.
- 12 to 14 clean twigs or wooden craft sticks
- 12 to 14 small apples, any variety, stems removed
- 1 (14-ounce) package caramels
- 2 tablespoons milk
- Toasted, chopped pecans, for garnish (optional)
- Sweetened shredded coconut, toasted, for garnish (optional)
Insert sticks into tops of apples; set aside. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper; set aside.
Unwrap caramels and place in a medium saucepan, along with milk. Heat over medium-low heat until caramel is melted and milk is well combined.
Remove saucepan from heat. Dip bottom of each apple first in caramel, then in pecans or coconut, if desired. Transfer to prepared baking sheet and refrigerate until set, about 15 minutes, or up to overnight.
SourceThe Martha Stewart Show, October 2009