Braised Collards with Tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, smashed and peeled
- 2 1/2 pounds collard greens, stems discarded and leaves torn into 2-inch pieces
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1 can (28 ounces) whole peeled tomatoes
- 1 smoked ham hock
- 1 can (15 ounces) black-eyed peas, rinsed and drained
- Cooked rice, for serving
In a large Dutch oven or heavy pot, heat oil over medium. Add onion and garlic and cook until onion softens, about 4 minutes. Add greens, cover, and cook until mostly wilted, about 4 minutes. Uncover and cook, stirring, until completely wilted, 2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
Add tomatoes, breaking them apart as you go. Add ham hock and 3 cups water and bring to a boil; reduce to a medium simmer. Partially cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until greens are tender and ham separates from bone, about 2 1/2 hours, adding more water if needed.
Remove ham from pot and let rest until cool enough to handle. Discard skin and bone; dice meat. Return ham to pot; stir in beans. Season with salt and pepper. Serve collards with rice.