- 12 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 4 onions, (2 pounds), peeled and cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 16 celery stalks, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 10 large fresh sage leaves, chopped, or 2 teaspoons crushed dried sage
- 6 cups homemade or low-sodium canned chicken stock
- 2 loaves stale white bread (about 36 slices), crust on, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 4 teaspoons freshly ground pepper
- 3 cups coarsely chopped flat-leaf parsley (about 2 bunches)
- 2 cups pecans, toasted and chopped (optional)
- 2 cups dried cherries, (optional)
Melt butter in a large skillet. Add onions and celery, and cook over medium heat until onions are translucent, about 10 minutes. Add sage, stir to combine, and cook 3 to 4 minutes. Add 1/2 cup stock, and stir well. Cook for about 5 minutes, until liquid has reduced by half.
Transfer onion mixture to a large mixing bowl. Add all remaining ingredients, including the remaining stock; mix to combine.