Giant Chocolate Sugar Cookies
- Servings: 8
Source: Martha Stewart Living, March 2007
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup good-quality unsweetened Dutch-process cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup vegetable shortening, substitute 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 1 large egg
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
Preheat oven to 375. Whisk together flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl; set aside.
Put butter and sugar into the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Mix on medium-high speed until pale and fluffy. Mix in shortening (or additional butter). Add egg and vanilla; mix until creamy. Reduce speed to low. Gradually add flour mixture, and mix until just combined.
Using a 2 1/2-inch ice cream scoop, drop dough onto baking sheets lined with parchment paper, spacing about 4 inches apart. Bake until edges are firm, 18 to 20 minutes. Let cool on sheets on wire racks. Cookies can be stored in an airtight container up to 2 days.