Lion Brand Wool-Ease Thick and Quick Loom-Knit Lacy Scarf
SourceMartha Stewart Living, 2011
About 11 x 88 in. (28 x 223 cm)
- Super bulky wool blend yarn, 6 oz./ 106 yd. balls
- Cream 3 balls, or color of your choice
- Martha Stewart Crafts Lion Brand Yarn Knit & Weave Loom
Use the following pieces: (2) 36-hole pieces, (2) 12-hole pieces and (2) U-shaped corner pieces.
Connect pieces to form a rectangle as follows: 12-hole piece, 36-hole piece, U-shaped corner piece, 12-hole piece, 36-hole piece, U-shaped corner piece.
Insert 24 large pegs into every other hole along only one 12-hole piece and 36-hole piece -- 24 working pegs placed. Insert a small peg into each connecting hole to hold loom together.
Knit 2 stitches together: Skip next working peg, move yarn loop from the following peg to the skipped peg above existing loop -- 2 loops on peg. Knit both loops together to knit 2 stitches together.
Yarn over: Wrap yarn once around empty peg to inside of loom, then back to outside of loom to work next peg.
1. The instructions provided in the loom manual for casting on are the same for both flat knitting and knitting in the round (when you make a tube). These instructions are listed under the heading of "Single Knitting."
2. Once you've cast on for the scarf, begin working back and forth for single knitting.
3. The loom is configured into a rectangle to make the loom easier to hold. The scarf is knit flat on only one side of the loom.
4. The scarf is designed with a garter stitch (knit one row, purl one row) border on each of the sides. The first and last 2 rows of the scarf are worked in garter stitch and the first and last 2 stitches of each row are worked in garter stitch.
5. The lacy pattern in this scarf is created by knitting 2 stitches together, followed by a yarn over. The yarn over will create a decorative eyelet in your knitting.
Cast on to 24 working pegs.
Beginning Border Rows
Row 1: Knit across all working pegs.
Row 2: Purl across all working pegs.
Row 1: Knit 2, knit 2 stitches together, yarn over; repeat from to last 2 working pegs, knit 2.
Row 2: Purl 2, knit across to last 2 pegs, purl 2.
Repeat lacy pattern rows 1 and 2 until piece measures about 87 in. (221 cm) from beginning, end with a row 2.
Ending Border Row:
Knit 2, purl across to last 2 pegs, knit 2.
Thread each yarn end into yarn needle provided with loom and weave yarn ends into the fabric of the scarf.
Every effort has been made to produce accurate and complete instructions. We cannot be responsible for variance of individual knitters or crocheters, human error, or typographical mistakes.
2011 Lion Brand Yarn Company, all rights reserved.
To purchase the tools used to make this craft visit HSN.