Broccoli and White Bean Salad
- Servings: 4
Photography: David Prince
Source: Martha Stewart Living, September 2003
- 1 large bunch broccoli (about 1 pound)
- Coarse salt
- 1 can (15 1/2 ounces) cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 small red onion, halved and thinly sliced into half-moons
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice, plus 1 tablespoon finely grated lemon zest (about 1 lemon)
- 2 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red-pepper flakes
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 3/4 cup (about 2 ounces) shaved Pecorino Romano or Parmesan cheese
Cut the tops off each head of broccoli, and trim into 1-inch florets; set aside. Peel each stem to remove tough outer layer. Slice peeled stems on the bias into 1/4-inch pieces; set aside.
Prepare an ice bath; set aside. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add a generous amount of salt and broccoli florets. Cook over high heat until florets are tender when pierced with the tip of a paring knife, about 4 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer to ice bath. Add stems to the boiling water; cook until tender when pierced with the tip of a paring knife, about 3 minutes. Transfer to ice bath. Let florets and stems cool completely, and drain.
In a large mixing bowl, combine broccoli, beans, onion, lemon juice and zest, oil, and red-pepper flakes. Stir to combine; season with salt and pepper. Top with cheese; serve immediately.