Creamy Tomato Soup
This tomato soup is also delicious without the half-and-half -- or with twice as much.
- Servings: 8
Source: Martha Stewart Living, October 1999
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 26 1/2-ounce boxes vacuum-packed crushed tomatoes, or 10 cups canned crushed tomatoes
- 5 1/4 cups Homemade Chicken Stock Homemade Chicken Stock, or canned low-sodium chicken broth, skimmed of fat
- 3 sprigs fresh oregano, plus more for garnish
- 1/2 cups half-and-half
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium-low heat. Add onion and garlic, and cook, stirring, until translucent, about 6 minutes.
Add tomatoes, stock, and oregano, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer gently until thickened, about 45 minutes. Remove oregano sprigs.
Slowly add half-and-half, stirring constantly. Season with salt and pepper. Garnish with oregano, if desired. Serve hot.