- Servings: 6
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted, plus more, softened, for baking dish
- 8 slices white bread
- 1 1/2 cups grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 1/2 cups grated Swiss cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
- 4 large eggs
- 2 cups milk
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
Butter an 8-inch square baking dish; line bottom with 4 slices bread. Sprinkle with half of each cheese. Top with chives. Layer with remaining bread and cheese.
Whisk together eggs, milk, melted butter, cayenne, salt, and pepper. Pour mixture into baking dish. Cover; refrigerate at least 6 hours (or overnight).
Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Bake strata until puffed and golden, about 40 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.