Mark's Risotto with Tomato and Basil
- Servings: 6
Source: Martha Stewart Living Television
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 red onion, minced
- 1/2 yellow onion, minced
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup milled or crushed canned Italian plum tomatoes
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 1/2 cups Arborio rice (do not rinse)
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 3 to 4 cups homemade or canned low-sodium chicken or vegetable broth, heated
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup torn basil leaves
In a medium-size, heavy soup pot, melt 2 tablespoons butter over medium-high heat. When it foams, add the onion and garlic, and cook, stirring, until the onion is transparent, about 5 minutes. Stir in tomatoes. Reduce the heat to medium, add the rice, salt, and pepper, and cook, stirring with a wooden spoon, until well coated, about 1 minute.
Add the wine, and simmer gently until the liquid is absorbed, 3 to 5 minutes. Add 1/2 cup of the broth, stir, and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the liquid is absorbed. Repeat, adding 1/2 cup broth at a time, until the rice is cooked through but still firm, 20 to 25 minutes total.
Add the remaining tablespoon butter, Parmesan cheese, and basil. Mix well, add salt and pepper to taste, and serve immediately.