- 2 pounds lump crabmeat, picked over for cartilage
- 1 cup dried breadcrumbs
- 1 cup mayonnaise, store-bought or homemade
- 2 large eggs
- 1 red bell pepper, stem, seeds, and ribs removed, cut into 1/8-inch dice
- 1 yellow bell pepper, stem, seeds, and ribs removed, cut into 1/8-inch dice
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
- 4 scallions, chopped
- Coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- Cilantro-Lime Mayonnaise
Preheat oven to 250 degrees. In a large bowl, combine crabmeat, breadcrumbs, mayonnaise, eggs, peppers, cilantro, and scallions; mix well. Season with salt and pepper. Shape mixture into twenty-four 2-inch-round patties.
Heat 1/2-inch of oil in a large skillet over medium high heat until hot but not smoking. Working in batches, add crab cakes, and cook until golden brown, about 2 to 3 minutes on each side. Transfer to a paper towel-lined baking sheet to drain, and place in oven to keep warm. Repeat with remaining crab cakes. Serve with Cilantro-Lime Mayonnaise, if desired.