Chicken Holy Basil
- Servings: 6
Source: Martha Stewart Living, August 2005
- 10 cloves garlic, minced
- 6 fresh Thai chiles, thinly sliced crosswise
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon Asian fish sauce
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 4 1/2 teaspoons sugar
- Freshly ground pepper
- 3 cups loosely packed fresh holy basil leaves, plus more for garnish
- Sticky or steamed jasmine rice, for serving
Mash together garlic and chiles using a mortar and pestle or the flat side of a large knife. Heat oil in a wok or large skillet over medium-high heat. Add garlic mixture. Cook, stirring constantly, until garlic is just golden, about 20 seconds.
Add chicken; cook, stirring often, until chicken is cooked through, about 4 minutes. Stir in fish sauce, soy sauce, sugar, and 1 1/2 teaspoons pepper. Add basil; cook, stirring constantly, 1 minute. Season with more pepper, if desired. Serve over rice. Garnish with basil.