Italian Pressed Sandwiches
Open wide so you don't miss a drop of the tasty cured meat goodness; from "Mad Hungry" by Lucinda Scala Quinn.
- 1 rectangular ciabatta or other thick-crusted bread, about 18 inches long by 5 inches wide
- 1 1/2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 pound prosciutto, thinly sliced
- 1/4 pound hard salami, thinly sliced
- 1/2 pound fresh mozzarella cheese, sliced
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon dried oregano
- 5 whole sun-dried tomatoes, in oil, thinly sliced
Slice the bread horizontally and lay each half, cut side up, on a work surface. Drizzle with olive oil. On one half, lay down the prosciutto to cover. Repeat with the salami and mozzarella. Top with the pepper, oregano, and sun-dried tomatoes. Cover with the other half of the bread.
Press down on the sandwich and wrap tightly in plastic wrap and then foil. Press under heavy saucepans or cans for up to overnight in the refrigerator. When ready to eat or pack, unwrap the loaf, cut into servings, and serve, or rewrap and pack.
SourceMad Hungry, November 2010