Homemade Rhubarb Chutney
This tangy condiment is delicious on top of sharp cheese on crusty bread. It's also delicious when paired with roast chicken and pork, which benefit from its tartness.
- Total Time:
- Yield: Makes 2 cups
Source: Everyday Food, May 2009
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 pound rhubarb, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup packed light-brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon peeled minced fresh ginger
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 tablespoon sherry vinegar
In a saucepan, heat oil over medium. Add onion and cook until softened, 5 to 6 minutes.
Add rhubarb, raisins, sugar, ginger, and cinnamon stick. Cook over medium, stirring occasionally, until rhubarb begins to break down, 6 to 8 minutes. Remove cinnamon stick and stir in vinegar. Serve with ham or pork and cornichons.