Minestrone with Broccoli
You can make this hearty, one-dish meal in just half an hour. It's a great choice for lunch or dinner on a cold winter day.
- Servings: 8
Source: Martha Stewart Kids, Winter
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/2 pound sweet Italian sausage, casings removed
- 1 small yellow onion, finely chopped (about 3/4 cup)
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup tiny uncooked pasta shells, such as conchigliette (about 4 ounces)
- 1 pound broccoli florets, cut into small pieces, stalks peeled and cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) diced tomatoes
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 small piece (2 ounces) Parmesan cheese, thinly shaved with a vegetable peeler
Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat until hot but not smoking. Add sausage; cook, stirring with a wooden spoon to break up meat, until browned and crumbly, about 5 minutes. Add onion; cook, stirring often, until softened, about 5 minutes.
Add 4 cups water and the broth to pot. Bring to a boil. Stir in pasta. Reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer, stirring often, until pasta is barely tender, about 6 minutes. Add broccoli, tomatoes, and salt. Simmer until broccoli is tender, about 4 minutes. Ladle soup into shallow bowls, and top with cheese.