Haricot Vert Salad
- Servings: 6
Source: Martha Stewart Living, January 2004
- 6 very thin slices white onion
- Coarse salt
- 1 pound haricots verts, trimmed
- 6 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 pound cherry or grape tomatoes, halved
- 2 ounces shaved ricotta salata or crumbled feta cheese
Place the onion in a small bowl. Cover with cold water and let stand for 30 minutes. Drain and pat dry with clean kitchen towels; set aside.
Prepare an ice water bath; set aside. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add a generous amount of salt and the haricots verts. Cook until bright green, about 2 minutes. Use a slotted spoon to transfer to the ice water bath to stop cooking. Drain, shaking off excess liquid; set aside.
In a large bowl, whisk together the oil, vinegar, salt, and pepper. Add the haricots verts and toss to combine. Gently toss in tomatoes and onion slices. Transfer to a serving platter. Garnish with ricotta salata.