Poached Cod in Tomato Sauce with Prunes
- 2 tablespoons grapeseed oil
- 1 small onion, sliced (1 cup)
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 cans (28 ounces each) peeled whole tomatoes, pureed (about 6 cups)
- 1 cup water
- 5 pounds cod, cut into ten 4-inch pieces
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 12 ounces pitted prunes, cut into thirds
- 3 or 4 rosemary sprigs
- Extra-virgin olive oil, for drizzling
Heat grapeseed oil in an extra-large straight-sided skillet (or 2 medium skillets) over medium heat. Add onion, and cook until translucent, about 6 minutes. Add vinegar, and cook for 30 seconds. Add tomato puree and water, and bring to a boil.
Season cod with salt and pepper. Add cod, prunes, and rosemary to sauce. Cover, and simmer until cod is just cooked through, 12 to 15 minutes. Serve warm, drizzled with olive oil and seasoned with pepper.