Chunky Apple Cranberry Sauce
This sauce is a little on the tart side. If you prefer it sweeter, add more sugar to taste. Serve it as a condiment with roasted turkey or pork.
- Servings: 10
Photography: Zubin Shroff
Source: Martha Stewart Living, November 1998
- 1 medium onion, cut into 1/2-inch-thick wedges
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup dry red wine
- 1 (12-ounce) bag fresh cranberries
- 1/4 cup apple-cider vinegar
- 1 Granny Smith apple, peeled, cored, and cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground mace
- 1/4 teaspoon curry powder
- Juice and grated zest of 1 orange
- 1/3 cup dried currants
In a medium saucepan, combine onion, sugar, and wine. Place over medium-high heat; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium, and simmer, covered, 4 minutes.
Add all remaining ingredients except currants; cook until cranberries have popped, about 8 minutes. Remove from heat, and stir in currants. Serve at room temperature.