Pickled Hot Cherry Peppers
Quart-size jars work best for packing a lot of peppers. Use the pint-size jar to put up a small batch to serve over cheese.
- Yield: Makes 2 quart-size jars and 1 pint-size jar
Source: Martha Stewart Living, March 2010
- 2 pounds hot cherry peppers, washed well and dried
- 6 garlic cloves, halved
- 3 dried bay leaves
- 3/4 teaspoon whole black peppercorns
- 4 cups white-wine vinegar (at least 5 percent acidity)
- 1 1/3 cups water
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons coarse salt
Trim cherry pepper stems. Divide peppers, garlic, bay leaves, and peppercorns among 2 quart-size and 1 pint-size sterilized glass jars.
Bring vinegar, water, sugar, and salt to a simmer in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Cook until sugar dissolves. Pour hot pickling liquid over peppers, leaving 1/4-inch headspace at tops. Can in water bath for 15 minutes.