To hold each portion together, Martha pokes mini baseball pennants into each piece.
- Servings: 24
Source: Martha Stewart Living Television
- 2 heads romaine lettuce, shredded
- Olive oil, to taste
- Red-wine vinegar, to taste
- Coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Dried oregano, to taste
- 1 (3-foot) loaf Italian bread with sesame seeds
- 1 cup best-quality mayonnaise
- 3/4 pound oven-roasted turkey, thinly sliced
- 3/4 pound baked ham, thinly sliced
- 3/4 pound Genoa salami, thinly sliced
- 3/4 pound soppressata salami, thinly sliced
- 3/4 pound provolone cheese, thinly sliced
- 4 large vine-ripened tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 24 mini baseball pennants, or toothpicks
Put shredded lettuce in a bowl, and drizzle lightly with oil and vinegar; season with salt, pepper, and oregano.
Using a sharp, serrated knife, cut bread in half lengthwise. With your hands, pull out the soft center from the bread. Using a spatula, spread mayonnaise evenly over each bread half.
On bottom bread half, evenly layer turkey, ham, Genoa salami, soppressata, provolone, and tomatoes. Add layer of lettuce. Top with remaining bread half. Cut sandwich into triangles, and secure with mini baseball pennants or toothpicks. Serve immediately, or chill until ready to serve.