- Yield: Makes about 2 cups
Source: Martha Stewart Living, July 2007
- 1 small head garlic
- 2 cups plus 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 large egg yolks, room temperature
- 3/4 teaspoon coarse salt
- 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
Preheat oven to 375. Place garlic on a piece of parchment set over a piece of foil, and drizzle with 2 teaspoons oil. Fold and crimp to enclose. Roast until tender, about 1 hour. When cool enough to handle, squeeze cloves from skins.
Process garlic, egg yolks, and salt in a food processor until combined. With machine running, gradually add remaining 2 cups oil, drop by drop at first and then in a slow, steady stream, until emulsified. Stir in lemon juice and cream. Aioli can be refrigerated, covered, for up to 2 days; do not leave unrefrigerated for longer than 1 hour.