Our recipe for homemade granola "bars," which are actually chunks of the baked mixture, is easy to make and a wonderful snack. These ingredients are an excellent combination for an energy boost.
Source: Martha Stewart Living, February 2004
- 1 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1 cup soy flakes
- 1 cup wheat flakes
- 1/2 cup packed light-brown sugar
- 1 cup coarsely chopped pecans
- Finely grated zest of 1 orange
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup honey
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Put oats, flakes, sugar, nuts, zest, nutmeg, and cinnamon in a medium bowl. Melt butter with honey in a saucepan over low heat; stir into oat mixture.
Spread mixture in a 7-by-11-inch baking pan; bake until just golden, about 10 minutes. Let cool in pan (mixture will harden). Break cooled mixture into large chunks.