Orecchiette with Broccoli Rabe
This mouthwatering recipe for orecchiette with broccoli rabe comes courtesy of Donatella Arpaia.
- Servings: 4
Source: The Martha Stewart Show, April 2007
- 4 sweet Italian sausages (about 1 pound), casing removed and crumbled
- 1 pound Fresh Semolina Orecchiette
- 1 pound broccoli rabe, washed, trimmed, and cut into 3-inch pieces
- 2 cloves garlic, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Freshly grated Parmesan cheese, for serving
Place sausage in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Cook, stirring, until browned, 5 to 8 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer sausage to a bowl; set sausage and skillet aside.
Bring 4 quarts water to a boil in a large pot. Add salt, return to a boil and add broccoli rabe. Cook 1 minute and drain, reserving some of the cooking liquid; set aside.
Bring a second large pot of water to a boil. Add salt, return to a boil and add pasta. Cook until al dente, 5 to 8 minutes; drain.
Place reserved skillet over medium-high heat and add oil, broccoli rabe, garlic, and red pepper flakes. Cook, stirring, about 30 seconds. Return sausage to the skillet along with the orecchiette. Stir to combine, adding reserved cooking liquid if pasta seems too dry; sprinkle with cheese and serve immediately.